Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pick - Sonny Criss: The Complete Imperial Sessions


I've been listening to a lot of Sonny Criss today. Two CD's with more than an hour and a half's music sounded like a lot when I started, but the music just got better and better as I went along. Tender on ballads and a scorcher on mid- and uptempo tunes, Criss was a phenomenally gifted player. He burns up Sweet Georgia Brown, In the Still of the Night, and Criss Cross, just to cite a few of this collection's many high spots. I also was dazzled by Ornithology, which in an apparent attempt by Imperial Records to abide by the Truth in Changes Act, is listed as How High the Moon.

Bob Porter's liner notes are not extensive, but he did point out something that I should have noticed a long time ago: one of Sonny's big influences was Eddie Cleanhead Vinson. I've long thought that Vinson's great blues shouting has tended to overshadow his keening, bop-style alto playing, and Criss definitely has a ton of that feeling in his sound. I don't want to overplay the influence thing, though -- this was a master musician with a unique sound, ideas, and attack. It's a shame he didn't get more recognition in his day. Pick this one up if you can find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment